- ITALIAN STYLE FAMILY BRAISED BEEF
ITALIAN STYLE FAMILY BRAISED BEEF
May 24th, 2020
This is a great change of scenery from the usual family roast beef.
This is a great change of scenery from the usual family roast beef. It’s a hearty one pot wonder which is sure to impress. Our Piedmontese beef cooks in a lot less time than regular beef, about an hour less in this case, making this an all round winner.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5Kg (3 Lb / 6 oz) Irish Piedmontese Roast
- 150g (5 oz) pancetta cubes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, each cut into 3 – 4 pieces on the diagonal
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300ml (1/2 pt) good quality beef stock
- 300ml (1/2 pt) red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 100g (4 oz) pearl barley, rinsed
- mashed potato or crusty bread, to serve
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place a casserole pot, which has a tight fitting lid, over a high heat.
- Add one tablespoon of the oil and sear the beef all over for a few minutes until golden.
- Remove and add the pancetta, cooking for 1-2 minutes until golden and remove also.
- Reduce the heat a little, add the remaining tablespoon of oil and gently sauté the onions, celery and garlic for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Then add the carrots, tomatoes, beef stock, red wine, tomato puree, bay leaf, rosemary and salt and pepper.
- Stir the pancetta through and then return the beef also, nestling it into the sauce.
- Bring slowly to the boil, then reduce the heat, pop the lid on.
- Simmer quite gently for 1 ½ hours, stirring the pearl barley through after 30 minutes.
- Remove the beef from the sauce, to carve into slices. Arrange the slices on each serving plate and spoon the sauce over.
- Serve with mashed potato or simply crusty bread.
Recipe by Sharon Hearn Smith www.blueberrypie.ie